With the rise of Eleven Superior condos located in the heart of town, it’s no doubt that the future is great for the Little Municipality that could. Annexed into Etobicoke in 1967, Mimico offers more amenities than ever before and it’s only growing. Here are eleven things worth noting about this lakeside leader:
1. Lakeshore Arts – One of the things that stand out most about Mimico is Lakeshore Arts, a non-profit organization and a registered charity dedicated to working with artists to present programs and exhibitions. They provide educational, training and development opportunities for youth and adults, making their mark on the Toronto arts map. (45 seconds walking)
2. The Gallery Studio Café is a café inspired jazz, food and art. It’s a happening place where local artists can showcase their work and where musicians go to woo crowds. (3 minute drive/8 minutes transit)
3. Everest Indian Cuisine – This is quite possibly one of the best kept secrets in the GTA. The butter chicken, naan and rice pilaf dishes are to die for. We also highly recommend that you try the kofta malai! Oh, our mouths are watering at the thought. (5 minute drive)
4. Bird and Beans coffee shop sells fair-trade organic coffee that is, yes, bird-friendly. This café specifically buys shade-grown coffee, which has less of an environmental impact and preserves habitat. We are impressed. (1 minute walk)
5. Dino’s Wood Burning Pizza – Though not directly in Mimico, Dino’s pizza lives on Queensway and is a fiery competition for Toronto’s Pizzeria Libretto. The heat of the wood-burning oven is just as fulfilling as the amazing Italian-style pizzas, and Turkish pizza is available too. A true gem of Etobicoke. (6 minute drive)
6. IKEA – We don’t need to talk about the prominence of IKEA in our lives, because we all know, but how great is it that IKEA is only an 11 minute drive away from Eleven Superior? Sign us up for some smörgåsbord and marzipan cakes, or $1.99 breakfast.
7. Sherway Gardens is the high-end mall of our dreams with one of the best food courts a mall could contain. Window shop at Holt Renfrew or take a stroll to Chapters across the street. Either way, your shopping is covered. (11 minute drive)
8. Mimico Waterfront Park is one of sixteen parks in close proximity to Eleven Superior. Located on the shore of Lake Ontario, the park was designed with sustainability in mind. Though Mimico has already several established waterfront parks, Mimico Waterfront Park initiated by Waterfront Toronto and Toronto and Region Conservation will open in fall 2012.
9. Mimico GO Station is an 11 minute walk if you don’t feel like driving, and it goes right to Union Station.
10. TTC subway stations – Compare access to Old Mill (11 minute drive), Jane (10 minute drive) and Royal York (9 minute drive) subway stations.
11. The Gardiner Expressway is only a ten-minute drive away to get in and out of Toronto.